May 17, 2010

Hamlet Street

In 1999 I visited my friend Craig in Columbus, Ohio. While I was visiting, I made note of the gentrification of the street he had chosen to live on, Hamlet Street. On this short street, of about 1/2 city block, there is an extended family of Appalachian origin, diagonally across from his house. The apartment building has 4 units, with intergenerational familial connections spread throughout the 4 apartments.

I took an interest in one of the children, a young boy named Cody. I had some photos of Cody from this initial visit, and I knew I would want to return and photograph these families over time.
I returned to Hamlet Street in mid-2007 and spent a week there.

There is a simple chart, drawn by Craig showing the connections between the families and the apartments they live in.


































Cody in 1999 (above)
































Cody in 2007 (top left corner)















(my friend Armando helped me with this edit.)

2 comments:

  1. This edit kicks ass!!!
    Five stars *****!
    Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles RichardsonMay 22, 2010 at 5:41 AM

    I love this series Srini, why have i never seen it before?

    ReplyDelete